Upcoming Meeting of the Imperial Estates

Lark

Re: Upcoming Meeting of the Imperial Estates

Postby Lark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:13 am

I thought there was old business. Shouldn't the proposed changes to the sumptuary laws be there. I was under the impression they were tabled last year due to Galandor not having gold Crowns, but silver instead.
Feudalism: It's your Count that votes.

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:25 pm

Ah, you are correct Dame Lark. Hopefully I can bring that up as Old Business with IE permission. And I do apologize Sir Wolfe, thank you for the correction. I also plan on withdrawing all of my IMoC agenda items except the Rockwell rating one. That should make our meeting move along nicely.

Sir Rabbit

Postby Sir Rabbit » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:50 pm

Ok the curiousity is killing me....

Why are you withdrawing your submissions? You have been quite adamant about these changes for a while now....
Sir Richard 'The Rabbit' Kirk - KC

Paul de Marseilles

Postby Paul de Marseilles » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:07 pm

My Lords and Ladies,

Pray forgive the presumption. . . .
Would it be possible for someone to take the Agenda and put it into PDF format.
Would it then be possible to post the Agenda along with the other Agendas (of past meetings) on the Imperial Board.
This proposal would allow individuals to quickly down load the Agenda without having to copy an entire string of postings.
It would also hopefully expedite the dissimulation of this information as quickly as possible to our membership prior to the upcoming meeting.
Many thanks.
Baron Sir Paul de Marseilles, KP, KBn, LoE

CLD Chimera

Postby CLD Chimera » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:45 am

HRM Sanguinius wrote:Ah, you are correct Dame Lark. Hopefully I can bring that up as Old Business with IE permission. And I do apologize Sir Wolfe, thank you for the correction. I also plan on withdrawing all of my IMoC agenda items except the Rockwell rating one. That should make our meeting move along nicely.

So just for clarification, Items G through S are being withdrawn? I have been discussing the Agenda with the Dominion of Capella and I need to know what to tell them. Thank you ahead of time for clarification.

In Service,
CLD Chimera the Cleric, Knight Premier...and all them other titles!

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 am

I can't make modifications to the agenda at this time, because it is already published and official and all that. But yes, I'm planning on withdrawing them at the meeting.

Sir Rabbit

Postby Sir Rabbit » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:04 pm

HRM Sanguinius wrote:I can't make modifications to the agenda at this time, because it is already published and official and all that. But yes, I'm planning on withdrawing them at the meeting.

Im confused... You have been quite adamant about these changes, and have even explained some of them to the point to where others including myself agree with you on many of them.

Why would you remove these submissions?

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:58 am

1) I've stepped down as the IMoC, and simply don't want to deal with this organization’s misconceptions about historical combat anymore.

2) I made the false assumption that this organization thought it was recreating historical combat to the best of its abilities and just didn't know any better, and all it needed was someone to point out the inaccuracies and provide a rule set on how to get a little closer to how things were actually done. However, I've come to realize that many members and even those in positions of leadership are comfortable and completely fine with these anachronisms and prefer combat to play out more like a LARP than a historical encounter.

3) I didn't make the rules to benefit anyone but those who could not or do did not spend years doing the constant research it would require to educate ones self in the systems of combat from the 13th to 17th centuries. And because the KC's of the Empire do not seem too interested in delving into these systems, and because I've already familiarized myself with them and teach them to an enthused audience, I find no reason to make the changes at the Imperial level. I'm fine with it being a Northwatch only thing (though I'd be more than willing as a member of the Order of St. Jude to answer any questions anyone has about the subject or to facilitate any territory on how to become more historically accurate in their combat methods).

Sir Rabbit

Postby Sir Rabbit » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 pm

Frankly, your Majesty, I find your statement to be quite insulting right now. Your constant comparison of us to a 'LARP' group is not at all accurate. I do not run around with a foam and plastic sword yelling "5 magic, 5 magic!" If you are so unhappy with how this group portrays combat, then by all means create your own organization and leave us to our methods. However, I would prefer you stay the course with the Empire of Chivalry and Steel and not give up so easily, especially after we had (what I thought was) very constructive conversations at Vega Ren Faire. I have heard your reasonings to your proposals, and have even come to agree with some if not most of them, as have many other members of this organization.

This is a can of worms that does not need opened right now, so I will simply leave the above said until I feel I am in the correct state of mind to elaborate.

Your Majesty - I humbly request that you do not remove your proposals. Let them be voted upon and go from there. I am not against change, and I believe some of your submissions have potential to better the ECS tourney/combat system as a whole.

Please take whatever time you deem necessary to ponder this request to reconsider your decision.

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:22 am

You shouldn't feel insulted. It was not my intent to imply that members run around casting magic.

However, running around on ones knees, putting arms behind backs, using anachronistic weapon combinations, ignoring certain target locations, "touching" to kill/wound (which leads again to anachronistic fighting styles) all seem more at home with a game/LARP than an organization serious about recreating historical combat.

I also agree that the meeting at Ren Fair was productive, but, it seemed like the consensus was that the organization as a whole was not ready to adopt the proposed rules, and opted to 'encourage' and 'persuade' the members to move in a more historical direction. Which is an 'ok' approach, except I feel it will be too little too late. I also have to consider who will be voting on these proposals. More than half of them are not KC's, and if I couldn't convince the KC's of the Empire, how could I convince non-KC's? I withdrew them simply to save time and avoid the inevitable. There are a couple items that fix minor wordage, but how foolish would I feel if I spent all this effort to simply change a few inconsequential words that change nothing in the grand scheme of things?

And I would leave the ECS in a heart beat to pursue organizations that specialize in the general recreation of the culture of the middle ages, who study and teach the ideals and history of the period through distribution of historical data through publication and demonstration, except for the fact that that's exactly what the ECS is required to do, but falls short in many instances.

Return to “Imperial Estates”