Upcoming Meeting of the Imperial Estates

Paul de Marseilles

Upcoming Meeting of the Imperial Estates

Postby Paul de Marseilles » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:52 pm

My Lords and Ladies of the Empire,

I have been asked questions by several members of my Kingdom regarding the upcoming meeting of the Imperial Estates.

It is my understanding that the current schedule is as follows:

Due Date for Submission of Agenda Items for the upcoming Imperial Estates Meeting-September 4, 2008;

Due date for the Publication of the Agenda for the Imperial Estates Meeting-September 19, 2008;

Date for the Meeting of the Imperial Estates-November 22, 2008.

It is also my understanding that the Imperial Estates Meeting will be telephonic and will begin at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time.

It is further my understanding that HRM Sanguinius is acting as the Temporary Secretary of the Board of Directors and will be publishing the Agenda for the upcoming Imperial Estates.

If any of the above is not correct, will someone make the necessary corrections on this string.

Many thanks.
Baron Sir Paul de Marseilles, KP, KBn, LoE

Gerrit Kendel

Re: Upcoming Meeting of the Imperial Estates

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:58 am

Thank you Sir Paul,

Several of us have been wandering since everything that was previously posted about the schedule of events were turned down, and then then schedule was never laid out in black and white. Here is the last thing that was posted that mentions the time line:

"The President of the BoD has approved of myself to be a temporary Secretary during the course of the Imperial Estates Meeting of '08. With this taken care of, we can proceed with the meeting of the Imperial Estates. We only await for the President of approve the time line, which he assured me would be taken care of tonight (on his birthday no less). "
-HRM Sanguinius, 8/21/2008

Looks like we didn't have as much time as we thought.

Thank you once again.
Viscount Sir Gerrit Kendel, KC, KMn, KA
Companion to the Order of Knight Minister
Order of the Sword of Theseus
Order of the Sovereign's Gratitude
Order of the Rising Sun
Member of The Order of Saint Michael

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 am

I'm guessing that because the President of the BoD does not use the forums, he told someone or someones on the BoD that the schedule was a go, and then relayed that info to Sir Paul, and thus why Sir Paul has posted the times.

Yes, Sir Paul, that timeline looks to be in order, but I defer to the BoD members to confirm.

AnneofBrackley

Postby AnneofBrackley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Makes sense to me.

Marchioness Dame Anne of Brackley
VP BOD

Paul de Marseilles

Postby Paul de Marseilles » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:47 am

My Lords and Ladies,

I have received some questions concerning the Imperial Estates Agenda from a few of the Imperial Estates members.

Has an Agenda for the upcoming Imperial Estates been distributed?

I believe that the Estates meeting is to be held on November 22, 2008.

If not, do you wish me to generate and distribute one?

Paul
Baron Sir Paul de Marseilles, KP, KBn, LoE

webmaster
Site Admin

Postby webmaster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:04 pm

The Imperial Estates Agenda was stored on the Galandor website, so if Galandor is down, so is the agenda. I believe I have a copy on my home computer and will endeavor to get it posted after work.
Earl Sir Gaelen O'Flaharty, Esquire
Knight Champion
Imperial Webmaster

Gerrit Kendel

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:12 pm

REVISED AGENDA FOR THE 2007 MEETING OF THE
IMPERIAL ESTATES OF THE EMPIRE OF CHIVALRY
AND STEEL, INC.

I. Roll Call

A. Sovereigns of the Kingdoms.
1. HRM Sanguinius Incarnadine (Galandor)
2. HRM Mina Vaughn (Galandor)
3. HRM Coniach McCleod (Vega)

B. Imperial Electors and Members of the Imperial Estates
1. Earl Sir Maxmillian Des Pegases
2. Contessa Dame Isabeau Des Pegases
3. Dame Emlyn Vigamor Enke Ulfgud
4. Contessa Dame Chimera the Cleric
5. Dame Kyrie McKay
6. Dame Ginevra Della Cascata
7. Duke Don Sir Michel de Pictramala
8. Viscount Sir Reinhardt von Konrad

C. Members of the Board of Directors
1. Stacey Diegel
2. Michelle Reines
3. Judy Dodge
4. Roy Quante

II. Announcements

III. Reports from Imperial Officers
A. Imperial Minister of Combat
B. Imperial Minister of Arts
C. Imperial Mistress of Rolls¬
D. Imperial Exchequer
E. Imperial Sovereign of Arms
F. Imperial Web Minister

IV. Old Business
There is presently no old business on the Agenda.

V. New Business

A. I would like to have the wording of the membership form to be more inclusive to non-married families, such as domestic partners.

Currently the form says:
•Family: $25.00 – per membership for immediate family (spouse
and minor children or dependents as determined by the IRS) of a
Participating membership residing at the same address.

I'm thinking of rewording the above to read;
Family: $25.00 – per membership for family members (spouse, partner,
minor children, or a dependent as determined by the IRS) of a
Participating membership residing at the same address.

Submitted by: Viscount Sir Kavin

B. Requesting approval of a new Imperial Manual of Web Procedure.
Proposed manual is located at http://www.ecs-imperial.org/IMWPoutline1.doc
Agenda Item 2(if it needs Estates approval):
Imperial Webmaster is requesting permission to create and maintain possible income generating aspects of the website including an Amazon Associates account connected to the Recommended Publications section of the online Imperial Library. Approval for future creation of other possible income generating aspects and features such as a Cafepress or similar account is included in this request.

Submitted by: Dame Wolfe

C. To dissolve the "Map of the World" which determines which Kingdom has rights to specific geographical areas. This system should be replaced with a system where the forming Territory will be allowed to designated which Kingdom it wishes to mentor under. If the forming Territorial is unable to, or unwilling to choose a specific Kingdom, then existing Kingdoms will take turns in accepting any forming Territory under their rule.

Rationale: The vast majority of territories are started by an individual who comes from one of the existing Kingdoms. Those individuals should be allowed to deal with the Kingdom that they are most comfortable with and already enjoy existing relationship with. This proposal would also allow for a forming Territory to be managed by a Kingdom which has a Territory in close geographical proximity.

Submitted by: Earl Sir Vladimir Tolos, KC, KMn

D. To revoke Ostgard's lifetime statehood and reform any existing members in the geographic areas once controlled by Ostgard into proper Territories under an existing Kingdom's rule.

Rationale: The entire Kingdom of Ostgard with the exception of one lifetime member has left the ECS. This action has left Ostgard with no functional governmental framework. There are no resident agents, no sovereigns or legal mundane representatives at all. Therefore, the ECS, Inc. cannot provide to any new or old members the standard rights of membership. Without a resident agent, the ECS, Inc. cannot legally conduct business in the states where Ostgard once ruled.

Submitted by: Earl Sir Vladimir Tolos KC, KMn

E. Grant the territory of Northwatch Kingdom status.

Reason: The ECS must maintain a nation wide presence, to help it grow and prosper. With the fall of Ostgard, the ECS no longer has a presence east of AZ/NV border. We can not let our nation-wide organization shrink into a mainly south-west group.

The Kingdom of Northwatch would include: IL, MI and MN and any other state wishing to join. This is also an open invitation for anyone left in Ostgard to join with Northwatch and make a new start for their territory, leaving old politics behind them.

We have a knight in each ladder, 16 dedicated members (we've doubled in size every year starting with just Mina and myself), have held 5 demos in 2 years, fulfilling our 501-c3 obligation, are dedicating to recreating history through studying period sword masters, have a member getting her PhD in medieval architecture, a leather worker with an online store, and many others who are in this organization ready to make it successful.

Submitted by: HRM Sanguinius

F. To approve the new Imperial Arts & Sciences Manual (http://www.ecs-imperial.org/Imperial%20Arts.doc)

G. section I.E.iv.b of the IMoC

Remove the wordage that deals with what to do when a blow is made to the arms and legs. This should be defined in the rules of the tournament or melee.

Now: "When an arm is wounded, it's recommended that you place the arm behind your back... When a leg is wounded, go down to your knees."

After: "When a target location is hit, the format of the tournament/melee will dictate how the blow is taken."

Reason: This will allow for combat that doesn't require combatants to go down on their knees or place arms behind backs, such as 'pointed' tourneys. It will also leave it up to the tourney/melee to describe what a 'killing' blow is (ie: poisoned blade, first blood tourneys).

H. section I.E.iv.b of the IMoC

Expand the wounding blow target location in shinai combat to the hands.

I. section I.E.iv.b of the IMoC

Expand the wounding blow target location in rapier combat to the hands.

J. section I.E.iv.b of the IMoC

Expand the wounding blow target location in shinai combat to the knees and below.

K. section I.E.iv.b of the IMoC

Expand the wounding blow target location in rapier combat to the knees and below.

L. VII.B.ii.2 of the IMoC

Remove 'Madu' from the list of Rapier Weapons.

Reason: Madu does not appear in the list of shinai weapons, and should not appear in Rapier Weapons because the madu is an Indian weapon not covered by the Mission Statement and was not used in the time of the Rapier.

M. new V.D. in the IMoC

Add new section V.D. which prohibits the use of two swords in steel combat.

Reasoning: There is no documentation that shows the use of two swords in armored combat.

N. new III.D. in the IMoC

Add section III.D which prohibits the use of two swords in unarmored combat.

Reasoning: If shinai is training for steel, or simulates a combat form prior to 'Rapier' combat, the use of this combination of weapons should not be allowed.

O. new VII.A.ii.6. in the IMoC

Add a new section to the alternate shinai weapons which includes construction of a shinai dagger.

Reason: to allow combatants who prefer fighting with two weapons an historical option

Construction:
i. Four single shinai slats up to 18" in length
ii. Using the original leather for the handle and tip, reattach them to the new 4 cut shinai slats.

P. new VII.A.3 in the IMoC

Add bucklers to the list of shinai defensive equipment. The rules and construction will be the same as the rapier buckler with the additional rules that:

e. bucklers may be used in combination with two handed weapons

Reason: This has been done for the past 10 years without a rule for it in the IMoC.

Q. section VII.A.1.a in the IMoC

add the wordage: "...or rubber hose 'or pre-approved equivalent' securely attached all around..." to the construction of the shinai shield.

R. new VIII.B.xix in the IMoC -renumber as necessary to keep the list of definitions in alphabetical order

Add new definition: "Florentine: a term invented by the SCA to describe the use of two swords. Note, that this term was not used in period and the only time the use of two swords can be documented in our period is in the 16th and 17th century when using a 'Case of Rapiers' as described by the historical master, DiGrassi."

S. new VIII.B.xx in the IMoC -renumber as necessary to keep the list of definitions in alphabetical order

Add new definition: "Eric: a term invented by the SCA to describe a roped off area in which combatants fight. Possibly deriving from an actual person named 'Eric' who brought the setup to practices and or events. The proper term for the roped off area is 'List.'

T. section X.B.i in the IMoC

Change the rockwell rating of steel swords to match the rating already used by most of the steel fighters in the ECS.

Now: 40-45
After: 45-53

U. I hereby propose for consideration of the Imperial Estates that any members who paid their memberships during the event known as Banner War may be allowed to gain any points/lists they earned during that event.

Reasoning:
During the event this past May in Galandor known as Banner War, a small number of participants paid their memberships to the Empire on the weekend of the event. Some paid at the beginning of the event, some in the middle, and some at the end. A statement was made by Imperial Rolls that membership dues would be accepted. After a particular list was won on the second (and last) day of combat, Imperial Rolls mentioned that points and lists earned that weekend would only count if the participant had paid before those points or lists were earned. Meaning a member paying dues on the morning of the second day would not earn points from the first day. I feel that this was a practice that was unclear to the participants of the war, and that when they were told membership dues were being accepted at the event, many assumed that so long as they paid their dues at the two day event, any points gained at the event would be applied to their count. The second statement that dues had to be paid before earning any points was not made until the middle of the second day of combat.

Submitted by Viscount Sir Reinhardt

VI. Emergency Items

Move the Imperial Post Office Box from Tucson to the Phoenix Metro Area (probably in Mesa). Adjust all forms as necessary.

Reasoning: Because the PO Box is in an area where it isn't checked very often, important items are often missed or are too late to act upon. 2 current members of the BoD are in the Mesa area and I'm willing to check the PO Box after my BoD term.

Submitted by Mynwyn verch Gruffydd

VII. General Discussion

VIII. Adjournment
Order of the Rising Sun

Sir Rabbit

Postby Sir Rabbit » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:05 pm

May want to fix the header to say 2008.....
Sir Richard 'The Rabbit' Kirk - KC

Wolfe

Postby Wolfe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:57 pm

To be nitpicky for a moment, it's Sir Wolfe, not Dame.
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense

Gerrit Kendel

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm

I just copy/ paste from the word doc that His Majesty posted.
Order of the Rising Sun

Return to “Imperial Estates”