Why has Imp. Esst. not been scheduled this year?

Sir Kavin

Why has Imp. Esst. not been scheduled this year?

Postby Sir Kavin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:05 pm

So far I have seen no word about an Imperial Estates Meeting this year. Why hasn't one been scheduled, a call for agenda items been published, and a meeting place been arranged? We normally meet in November, at least that is what I remember from last year when I was crown, and doesn't it take about 5 months to get the meeting organized? We are past the deadline. I would like to know why as I was hoping to contribute this year in some way?

I hope everything is going well.
All my love,
Viscount Sir Kavin of Vega
Viscount Sir Kavin FitzMattlocke
Knight Minister
Knight Artisan
Sergeant in Combat
Order of St. Michael

Paul de Marseilles

Re: Why has Imp. Esst. not been scheduled this year?

Postby Paul de Marseilles » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:46 am

Your Excellency,

I was wondering when someone would be asking about that.
From a non-Board viewpoint, I may be able to identify some of the problems associated with your question.
I believe that the principal problems are two-fold: (1) an empty position and (2) timing requirements.

The Position of Secretary of the Board of Directors has been vacant since December of last year.
I was the last individual to hold that position.
I published the meeting minutes and did the revisions to the L.I. and related bylaws which were subsequently published on the Imperial Website.
I did not volunteer to fill that position again for several reasons including, but not limited to, (1) the immediate prospect of involvement in a 7 to 8 month trial with the corresponding time commitment to that mundane responsibility and (2) a certain degree of unpleasantness which was being encountered.

The Empty Position Issue-
Under L.I. Version 15.1, Section III, (C)(1)(j), all meetings must be called and coordinated through the office of the Secretary of the Board of Directors.
If there is no Secretary, there is no regular meeting of the Imperial Estates.

The Timing Issue-
Under L.I. Version 15.1, Section III, (C)(1)(d), the Agenda for the Imperial Estates meeting must be published at least 60 days in advance of the meeting.
Under L.I. Version 15.1, Section III, (C)(1)(f), individuals must have at least 15 days prior to the publication deadline in order to propose items for consideration on the Agenda.
In the past, members of the Empire have been given between 60 to 90 days to submit items.
If a meeting of the Imperial Estates were to be announced today (August 16, 2008) and individuals were to be given 90 days in which to submit items, the deadline for publication of the Imperial Estates Agenda would be December 2, 2008 (90 plus 15 days) and the Imperial Estates Meeting could be held no sooner than February 3, 2009 (60 days after publication of the Agenda).
If individuals were to be given 60 days in which to submit items and a meeting was announced today, the deadline for publication of the Imperial Estates Agenda would be November 1, 2008 (60 plus 15 days) and the Imperial Estates Meeting could be held no sooner than January 2, 2009 (60 days after publication of the Agenda).
If individuals were to be given 30 days in which to submit items and a meeting was announced today, the deadline for publication of the Imperial Estates Agenda would be October 2, 2008 (30 plus 15 days) and the Imperial Estates Meeting could be held no sooner than December 2, 2008 (60 days after publication of the Agenda).
These time lines are based upon the following assumptions: (1) the meeting was announced today, (2) the immediate opening of submission of items, and (3) the immediate appointment of an individual to that position.

Please note that an emergency meeting of the Imperial Estates can be called at any time by the Board of Directors with approval from a simple majority of the Imperial Estates. In the past, we have generally given 15 day notice of an Emergency Meeting.

I hope this posting may help identify some of the present problems and provide an explanation as to why it is unlikely that there will be an Imperial Estates Meeting this year.

In Service,

Paul de Marseilles
Baron Sir Paul de Marseilles, KP, KBn, LoE

SeamusOg

Postby SeamusOg » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 am

That does help me a bit. I would ask that one of the board to call such a meeting. Open a board/ topic for anyone to add items to meeting say until sept 15th 2008. Then call a emergency meeting of the Imperial Estates vote on it . If yes, have it before Ren. fair.

regards Og
me happy me hit you with stick

Sir Kavin

Postby Sir Kavin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Has anyone volunteered for secretary yet?
Viscount Sir Kavin FitzMattlocke
Knight Minister
Knight Artisan
Sergeant in Combat
Order of St. Michael

HRM Sanguinius

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I have the most votes on the Imperial Estates (baring my Peer, the Glorious King of Vega), so I will take it upon myself to step forward and make sure the Imperial Estates Meeting blesses us all, this year of 2008.

Sir Paul, it is also written that a majority of the Imperial Estates can approve the time and place of a meeting and one must happen once a year. We must take what action we can to make sure one happens. We can not fall into a lull created by our own short comings. I will propose a time, so if the Imperial Estates could vote on holding it then, that would be great. And because we are running so late, and there is no minimum time that should be allotted from the time of a call for items and the date items are no longer accepted, (seems a bit odd) less time will be given than in the past.

AnneofBrackley

Postby AnneofBrackley » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:52 pm

As Vice President of the Board of Directors I can admit to this matter being a complete oversight on my part. Strange, how I didn't receive a single private message, e-mail, or phone call from anyone on this matter that would have allowed me the chance to rectify this situation. I thank His Majesty of Galandor for his initiative so the situation is taken care of, but for those of us who have rather all-consuming mundane jobs, a phone call would have expedited the matter and allowed it to be dealt with in a much more procedurally correct way. As it stands things are done, but I would ask that everyone remember that the board is not the most effective way to reach a good number of the members of the Board of Directors so please try more conventional means first before taking matters in your own hands.

YIS,
Marchioness Dame Anne of Brackley
VIce President, BOD

Return to “Imperial Estates”