Rockwell requirements, and current swords

Gerrit Kendel

Re: Rockwell requirements, and current swords

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Sort of off topic, but just wanted to add in something. This "Blade Breaker" is actually sort of a joke. Technically, it has broken 2 other blades. The first was a hack saw blade that broke while it was being cut down to specs, and broke because the saw-er was getting tired and twisted the saw a bit too much and it snapped. The other was a very badly made sword that was first time in combat. It broke at the tang right where the handle stopped. And trust me, when we looked at it, we all saw it was poorly put together.

Just FYI.
Viscount Sir Gerrit Kendel, KC, KMn, KA
Companion to the Order of Knight Minister
Order of the Sword of Theseus
Order of the Sovereign's Gratitude
Order of the Rising Sun
Member of The Order of Saint Michael

Lark

Postby Lark » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 am

I've already tossed in my opinions. However, this statement isn't true. In tools that are case hardened the outer edges of metal have a much higher hardness than the core of the material. This is especially true with edged weapons: swords, knives, and axes. The purpose being to allow the edge to be made and to stay with use while not embrittling the entire tool. True Japanese weapons took this philosophy to the limit by wrapping a very hard, folded, high carbon piece of steel around a much softer core. "Damascus" weapons incorperate using varius layers of high and low carbon steel folded together. The high carbon layers are very hard and hold a good edge while the low carbon layers are not very hard and allow the weapon to take damage without shattering. I would guess that most of the weapons we use today are single alloy weapons with properties that simulate having two different carbon alloys. However, since you stated that the manufacturors could change the to hardness it means that they heat treat to achieve the desired hardness. Depending on the meathod they use it could be case hardening (less expensive). Btw, the history channel recently ran an interesting show comparing two katanas one made the traditional way and one made using a modern alloy with a grinder and no heat treating.

My mistake. I guess I was thinking more about raw stock then finished product.

Gerrit, really? I could have sworn it was three. I guess I stand corrected again. :)
Feudalism: It's your Count that votes.

SeamusOg

Postby SeamusOg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:30 am

you can alway look at other steel groups rules and modify any rules that you find. I have never had a sword blade break and I have fought in ECS,AE and a few times in other steel groups. I tend to by wide blades. The viking 45$ blade that I bought 10 years, I understand is still be fought with although it has had 4-5 handles now. Soft wide blade.

stainless steel 440,420 is bad news.

If you really want a true guildline pay Atar of salamander armoury to help write the rules as he is master blade smith and has a doc. in metallurgy . Most of the blades have never been in compliance that I know of. I think the ph number is 702-566-5223 if wrong it is on his website.

og
me happy me hit you with stick

SeamusOg

Postby SeamusOg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:34 am

Gerrit Kendel wrote:Sort of off topic, but just wanted to add in something. This "Blade Breaker" is actually sort of a joke. Technically, it has broken 2 other blades. The first was a hack saw blade that broke while it was being cut down to specs, and broke because the saw-er was getting tired and twisted the saw a bit too much and it snapped. The other was a very badly made sword that was first time in combat. It broke at the tang right where the handle stopped. And trust me, when we looked at it, we all saw it was poorly put together.

Just FYI.

ok my helm has broken at least 3 blades, can it get blade breaker title too?
me happy me hit you with stick

Gerrit Kendel

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:27 am

You may be able to start using said title, but the original weilder of "Blade Breaker" also holds the "Squire of Rabbit Protection +2".
Viscount Sir Gerrit Kendel, KC, KMn, KA
Companion to the Order of Knight Minister
Order of the Sword of Theseus
Order of the Sovereign's Gratitude
Order of the Rising Sun
Member of The Order of Saint Michael

Return to “General Discussion”