Of possible interest...

Valdis

Of possible interest...

Postby Valdis » Tue May 12, 2009 9:36 am

As we are moving towards having more and more meetings telephonically, I thought I would share a resource I discovered:

http://www.freeconference.com/

This is a "free" teleconference website. It has two pricing structures: if you call in on a toll call there is no charge from the conferencing service, but long distance charges may apply. If you call in on an 800 number the call is 10 cents per minute. There are options to share computer desktops and record the meetings, but there is a charge for those. Also, there is a time limit on the calls, depending on the plan you are using (between three and five hours). This may not work for Imperial meetings as those tend to take several hours, but for estates meetings and peerage meetings for our far-flung kingdoms, it may be an option.

lassidor

Re: Of possible interest...

Postby lassidor » Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am

sounds like it could get expensive.

say 20 people call the 800 number for a meeting that last 2hours.

20x.1x120= $240
Duke Sir Lassidor Vandolini, KC, BOD treasurer, Imperial Exchequer, Defiance member, BoC of the Kingdom of Vega

Valdis

Postby Valdis » Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Right, but since so many long distance plans have free night/weekend minutes, 20 people call a toll number (normal long distance) for a meeting lasting two hours: 20(120 x $0) = $0

Worst case that I could find on line, if we have a 2 hour meeting with people calling a toll number (the only charges being borne by the caller) on the "Earth Tones Sustainer" plan (the most expensive one listed on http://www.saveonphone.com/chart.aspx) we have: 1(120 x $0.13) = $15.60. The cheapest plan (according to the same site) with a rate associated is ECG 2.5C/minute which brings us to 1(120 x $0.025) = $ 3.00.

I realize it's not perfect. Budget Teleconference (the company the IE uses) charges $0.03/minute/line if we want to go that route.

I was just sharing the resource.

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu May 21, 2009 1:07 pm

There is also the other option of Skype. all parties just need a computer with a mic, and calls are free user to user.
Earl Sir Gaelen O'Flaharty, Esquire
    Imperial Webmaster
    Knight Champion
    Knight Minister
    Member of the Order of St Michael

Valdis

Postby Valdis » Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Skype conference calls are not free though... 3 cents per minute per line I THINK...

Mynwyn

Postby Mynwyn » Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 pm

From what I understand, the conference calls cost but you can do online chats for free. I think that's what HRM was referring to.

Myn

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:42 am

actually any skype to skype call is free conference or otherwise. You only need to pay for skype if you are planning on using a an actuall phone number. Additionally any 800 number called on skype is free as well. So both are correct. ;)
Earl Sir Gaelen O'Flaharty, Esquire
    Imperial Webmaster
    Knight Champion
    Knight Minister
    Member of the Order of St Michael

Return to “General Discussion”