Q's on cross guards in MoC wording

SeamusOg

Q's on cross guards in MoC wording

Postby SeamusOg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 pm

ii) Another recommendation is to try to emphasize the use of equipment with a look of
periodness. A Marshal should not allow the use of any gear that is covered in strangely
coloured tape, is made of plastic, or otherwise detracts from the period appearance of the ECS
combat activities. Naturally, if such is required from a safety issue such must be the excepted,
but a measure of proper appearance should be regulated.

(1) Quillions are required for period appearance and proper training. Quillions need to be in
a period style appropriate to steel combat. Some leeway should be given to new fighters
as well as new shinai. Construction materials must be pre-approved by the Crown
Marshal/Constable, but include electrical wrapped flexible plastic as well as attached
leather. In all cases, quillions should be firmly attached to the shinai

ii) Another recommendation is to try to emphasize the use of equipment with a look of
periodness. A Marshal should not allow the use of any gear that is covered in strangely
coloured tape, *****is made of plastic, or otherwise detracts from the period appearance of the ECS*****combat activities. Naturally, if such is required from a safety issue such must be the excepted,
***but a measure of proper appearance should be regulated.***

(1) Quillions are required for period appearance and proper training. Quillions need to be in
a period style appropriate to steel combat. Some leeway should be given to new fighters as well as new shinai. Construction materials must be pre-approved by the Crown
Marshal/Constable,**** but include electrical wrapped flexible plastic as well as attached leather*****. In all cases, quillions should be firmly attached to the shinai

the wording leaves me a bit confused... **** - ****

A Marshal should not allow the use of any gear that is covered in strangely
coloured tape,* is made of plastic *, or otherwise detracts from the period appearance of the ECS
combat activities--------but then says- under quillions" wrapped in flexible plastic"

How long is a shinai "New"? How long is a Fighter "new"?

What if you have a Asian persona and gear?

Electrical tape is a form of pvc which is plastic?? not 100% on that.

prior post some had suggested a stick with electrical tape?? legal?

"electrical wrapped flexible plastic as well as attached leather"??? Define please.
me happy me hit you with stick

HRM Sanguinius

Re: Q's on cross guards in MoC wording

Postby HRM Sanguinius » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:27 am

I'm a little confused about the structure of your post and the way you posed your questions, but I can summarize the answers simply as: Do you best to recreate martial European culture. And: The highest ranking, presiding Marshal will be the judge as to whether or not you're trying hard enough.

Gerrit Kendel

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:57 am

SeamusOg wrote:
How long is a shinai "New"? How long is a Fighter "new"?

What if you have a Asian persona and gear?

Electrical tape is a form of pvc which is plastic?? not 100% on that.

prior post some had suggested a stick with electrical tape?? legal?

"electrical wrapped flexible plastic as well as attached leather"??? Define please.

A new shinai and new fighter is defined by the kingdom Marshal.

We are a Western European group as defined by our mandate.

Electrical tape is cheap and easy and can come in a color that can blend in or look bland.

The stick with electrical tape was just used as an example to show how simple it is to pass the rule.

"electrical wrapped flexible plastic as well as attached leather" this is context within the rule to state what has been allowed to be used as cross guards.
Viscount Sir Gerrit Kendel, KC, KMn, KA
Companion to the Order of Knight Minister
Order of the Sword of Theseus
Order of the Sovereign's Gratitude
Order of the Rising Sun
Member of The Order of Saint Michael

Wolfe

Postby Wolfe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:45 pm

I think Seamus's point of confusion was that in the IMoC it says that if a piece of combat gear is plastic or covered in strangely coloured tape, except as necessary for safety, a Marshall is not to allow it. And then the very same IMoC encourages the use of plastic and strangely coloured tape for the construction of quillions for practice, not safety, purposes.

If we were to take the IMoC by its wording, which we should, then only quillions made of leather are allowed as the first excerpt outright disallows the non-leather quillion option listed.
Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense

Gerrit Kendel

Postby Gerrit Kendel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:16 pm

This is where the play of words comes into play. The term "should" is used in that first section. So, it is saying a marshal "should" be cautious of items that use odd coloured equipment, not throw them out all together. Of course, I would hope I marshal would draw the line at bright pink or lime green tape and not the standard black, brown, or steel color tape that is on most weapons right now. I think that was the intent of this phrase being used. Personally, if I were a marshal on a field, I would not allow pink or yellow tape to be used on equipment. Just as an example.

I would agree that this could be a point of contention, but only if we are getting very very picky. Mainly because towards the end of the IMoC it details what sort of plastic is allowed to be used in the game. So, let's just play the game. The rules are there and can't be changed, only interpreted.
Viscount Sir Gerrit Kendel, KC, KMn, KA
Companion to the Order of Knight Minister
Order of the Sword of Theseus
Order of the Sovereign's Gratitude
Order of the Rising Sun
Member of The Order of Saint Michael

Mynwyn

Postby Mynwyn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am

Besides, the IMoC say "strangely"colored tape. Black, which is what most people use, isn't a strange color. We're talking something like bright pink or something else that obviously stands out as, "Whoa! That's not period."

Myn

SeamusOg

Postby SeamusOg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

That part of my point...what is strange? I prefer my shinai to look like a light saber. It a rule that can be abused by leaving it vague. You see if you are going to make a rule then you need to go all the way. ie white, black .brown , gray etc.

Wolfe wrote:I think Seamus's point of confusion was that in the IMoC it says that if a piece of combat gear is plastic or covered in strangely coloured tape, except as necessary for safety, a Marshall is not to allow it. And then the very same IMoC encourages the use of plastic and strangely coloured tape for the construction of quillions for practice, not safety, purposes.

If we were to take the IMoC by its wording, which we should, then only quillions made of leather are allowed as the first excerpt outright disallows the non-leather quillion option listed.

Yes....

Also if your going to make a rule you need to go all the way with it. What is wierd? or strange. Can you truly tell that someone did not have a 3 colored manly shaped shaped quillions on their sword? Lets say that a marshal is really open minded about what can be accepted then what? Purple i s a royal color. What a green knight sword etc. Can I have IVY?
me happy me hit you with stick

Mynwyn

Postby Mynwyn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:09 pm

We don't need to define it. It's like trying to define bald, everyone KNOWS what bald is, but you can't give a specific definition. Looking like a lightsaber is weird. Black isn't. Using a limited amount of personal colors is ok. Ultimately it comes down to the ranking marshal on the field. Besides, practically it doesn't matter because this rule isn't being enforced anyway.

Myn

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 am

HM has a really nice leather Quillion made by one of our local members. The rest of us have some simple plastic crossguards, but they don't look bad. I asked HM to post some pics of the modified shinais. We are in the process of doing some more modifications and I think it would be cool to show pics from the simpliest to the more complex mods.
Along with the pics, we will put together a how to for anyone wishing to modify their shinai.

Now if you want to get fancy and have the extra cash check this out:
http://www.chicagoswordplayguild.com/c/ ... pliers.asp

Squire Elix DeVries
...upset that she can't have a pink sword :cry:

padraig

Postby padraig » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Gerrit Kendel said
"let's just play the game."

Hear hear.

Return to “General Discussion”